FORT DUFFERIN NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE: CONDITION ASSESSMENT
Location: Emerson, MB
Client: Town of Emerson
Fort Dufferin was established in 1873 by the North West Mounted Police. The site was also used by the International Boundary Commission in its mapping of the International Boundary in 1874, and subsequently as a housing encampment for Mennonite immigrants in 1875. The geographic and archeological features of the ten-acre site comprise a significant Manitoba landscape. In July 2011, BridgmanCollaborative began detailed condition assessments of the two remaining buildings and provided strategies for stabilization and restoration based on the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada. Detailed photo documentation and drawings were developed to map building deterioration and prepare careful stabilization and restoration plans for the Post Road Heritage Group.